New article

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 16 20:59:15 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 08:18:50PM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > On 10/15/06, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote:
> > >Hi folks,
> >
> > Great article, thanks!
>
> Thank you!
>
> > How about
> > -eval "${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:-'NO'}"
> > +eval : \${${rcvar}='NO'}
> > (a little more concise/readable; does not override
> > explicit null value, which might not be valid, but
> > should probably be respected all the same)
>
> The former expression agrees better with the current
> style of rc.subr and rc.d; in particular, null and
> unset values are treated the same.

I understand that you personally may be authoritative
enough to make such statements, but it's not a matter
of style. If null values were overridden, quite a lot
of things would break right away. Try to "grep -h ^: *"
in prefix/etc/rc.d on a box with a lot of packages
installed and you'll see that only one or two percent
of null variables are overridden.

Sorry if I misunderstand you completely.

Thanks!