Hey I have a question about freeBSD

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 2 00:02:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:13:13 -0500
"Bill Damm" <bill at accustaffing.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been reading your documentation, and I didn't quite find the solution
> to my problem, I try installing FreeBSD onto my system and I gets to a point
> where its installing the operating system, then at 3% it crashes and says
> "dump device not defined"

The "dump device not defined" usually means that debugging
information is available but cannot be placed because, well,
the device is not configured.  Serial console helps here.

> Could you give me a point in the right direction.

When exactly do you get "3%" and then fail.  Is it during the
newfs (format) stage?  Or the transfer stage?  Have you tried
a different CD?  Are you using a CD?  More information can be
of help here.  Also, there is a FreeBSD-questions@ mailing list
where you might get more help.  If you provide a little bit more
about your specific case that is.  Thanks,

> Thanks In advance!
>

> --
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
> addressed. It is not an offer or acceptance, and it is not intended to be
> all or part of an agreement. This communication may contain material
> protected by the attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended
> recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the
> intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error
> and that any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
> this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
> error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this
> e-mail from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail or any errors or omissions in
> the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
>
> ...Postmaster
>
> http://www.accustaffing.com/spam/index.htm

> believed to be clean.
>

> ACCU-MailScanner http://www.accustaffing.com (The Power In Personnel)