Where would a nullfs man page go?

Joseph Koshy joseph.koshy at gmail.com
Mon May 29 01:21:52 UTC 2006

> I want to make a man page for nullfs.
> I was thinking of making it nullfs(5),
> but according to intro(5), section 5 is for file formats.

> nullfs isn't a real file format....it mounts a loopback
> file system sub-tree (see mount_nullfs(8)).
>
> Where would the best place be to put nullfs man page, then?

Section 5 is supposed to be about file formats, but
manual pages for devfs, ext2fs, fdescfs, linprocfs,
linsysfs, procfs, msdosfs, mqueuefs and reiserfs are
present in it.  Most of these manual pages appear
to fit elsewhere since they do not talk about file format,
perhaps section 4 (drivers & kernel modules).  ffs is
documented in section 7 (miscellaneous).  pseudofs resides
in section 9.  This should also be in section 4, like
miibus(4).

--
FreeBSD Developer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy