docs/33852: docs/33852: split(1) man page implies that input file is removed.

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 16 15:30:30 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/33852; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru at FreeBSD.org>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/33852: docs/33852: split(1) man page implies that input file is removed.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:21:44 +0300

 On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 06:05:33PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 > Hi Ruslan,
 > Any change we can commit the last patch of this PR?
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=docs/33852
 >
 > IMHO, it looks ok, but I don't think we can expect Gary to review
 > it any time soon now...

 If you have time for this, go ahead and borrow the text
 from POSIX.  I think it should fix all the issues that
 are mentioned in the PR (except adding the -p option).
 I mean, a good SYNOPSIS in my opinion would look like
 this:

 SYNOPSIS
      split [-l line_count] [-a suffix_length] [file [name]]
      split -b byte_count[k|m] [-a suffix_length] [file [name]]
      split -p pattern [-a suffix_length] [file [name]]

 Feel free to also borrow any changes in option and
 argument names, and any descriptional text if it makes
 it look better.  Just make sure the SYNOPSIS and
 usage() stay in sync.

 Cheers,
 --
 Ruslan Ermilov