[RFC] Understanding the FreeBSD Version Labels

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Fri May 12 13:56:47 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-12 10:33, Duane Whitty <duane at greenmeadow.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've made my first attempt at SGMLizing the article I was writing.
>
> As well I added some additional content and incorporated several
> suggestions I received.
>
> More review and feedback would be most welcome.

For anyone jumping into the discussion right now, who may have missed
the past posts, the article is online at:

http://www.dwlabs.ca/freebsd/docs/version-labels/article.html

It looks very nice :)

The current `version-guide' article has a TOC that looks like this:

    1. Background
    2. Release Scheduling In The Past
    3. Release Scheduling Goals Going Forward
    4. How Do These Factors Affect My Decision?
    5. Conclusion

Your own TOC is:

    1. Preface
    2. The Labeling of a Version
    3. Conclusion
    4. References and Other Valuable Resources

Perhaps we can join these two in something like this?

    1. Preface (move useful `Background' text here)
    2. The Labeling of a Version
    2. Release Scheduling in the Past
    3. Release Scheduling Goals Going Forward
    4. Conclusion
    5. References and Other Valuable Resources

Then we can commit a new, expanded `version-guide' article that gives us
the best of both :)