freebsd.org doesn't display well in Firefox 1.5.0.3

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Fri May 12 13:08:28 UTC 2006

+----[ Niek Dekker <niekdekker at gmail.com> (12.May.2006 09:32):

| Hi Giorgos,
|
| Of course. It is here: http://www.nlnet.org/freebsd.org.jpg
|
| Regards
| Niek
|
| Giorgos Keramidas schreef:
|
| >On 2006-05-12 01:08, Niek Dekker <niekdekker at gmail.com> wrote:
| >

| >>The new freebsd website displays faulty in Firefox current (1.5.0.3).

Niek,

It looks quite right on my firefox-1.5.0.3
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/freebsd.org.jpg
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/firefox.about.jpg

However, your screenshot does not look faulty to me ... it
only has the navigation bar wrapped on a second line ...
which suggests to me that the problem is that you're using a
larger font size.

Indeed if I increase the text size twice, I get this
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/freebsd.org.large.jpg

My default font and size is 'Bitstream Vera Sans, 16'

Actually, I would expect this to happen in any decent
CSS-capable browser, not just firefox, and not particularly
1.5.03

Making a web page that can be stretched or reduced to
different fonts and sizes is something that they tell you
it's plain easy to do using CSS.

But in reality, any web page with a complex layout
(different containers for navbars, search boxes, news items,
et cetera) will not be immune to window resizing and/or text
enlarging, as there is a complex interaction
between window size, text size, text container size going
on underneath.

The alternative would be to go back to plain HTML pages and
only use CSS stylesheets to markup style (colors, font
families, etc.) but not layout, or to use complex and
convoluted CSS hacks (that sometimes need companion
javascript) to serve the right page for your combination of
OS/browser/monitor size/text size.

The debian web pages are an example of a simple design that
pretty much accomodate any change in window size (try
narrowing the width of your firefox window) and text size:
Debian home page with large text:
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/debian.org.large.jpg
Debian home page with large text in a narrow browser window:
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/debian.org.large.narrow.jpg

| >>Really a shame for an open source advocacy organisation!

I wouldn't say that.

| >>See screenshot.

+----]

Fernan