[RFC] Understanding The FreeBSD Version Labels

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Tue May 9 15:17:47 UTC 2006

Duane Whitty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was considering submitting an article on what the FreeBSD version
> labels mean.  Obviously this would just be an exposition as there
> really isn't any new information to be offered.
>
> I didn't mark it up but I would be more than willing to do so.  I have
> installed the tools for working with the Documentation Project so
> hopefully it wouldn't take me too long to learn enough markup for
> my short and simple document.
>
> If anyone would like to give me some feedback on the document
> itself or on the appropriate protocols for soliciting feedback please
> feel free.
>
> The document is at
> http://www.dwlabs.ca/fbsd-releases
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duane Whitty
Hi,

Sorry, I guess a brief synopsis is in order.

Bascically I'm trying to bring together in one location
and consolidate the wealth of information which can be found on
the FreeBSD website regarding the FreeBSD versions to
try to make it more accessible to newcomers to FreeBSD.

I'm not sure if this document is needed or welcome but I
figured, hey, maybe it will help someone.

http://www.dwlabs.ca/fbsd-releases

 From the the introduction

In order to best understand the meaning of the various FreeBSD version
labels I believe
it is useful to describe how the versions of FreeBSD, past and present, are
organized and archived. With an understanding of how both historical and
present versions
of the operating system are organized and archived we will have a
clearer understanding of
not only what the various labels mean but also why certain maintenance
and development
activities are associated with each FreeBSD version label.

Sincerely,

Duane Whitty
duane at greenmeadow.ca