documentation error

James Bailie jimmy at jamesbailie.com
Mon May 8 16:02:13 UTC 2006

Olivier Mehani wrote:

 > I have been surprised, however, to read in paragraph 4.3:  "As
 > bugs are found in a RELEASE version, they are fixed, and the
 > fixes are added to the CVS tree. In FreeBSD, the resultant
 > version is called the STABLE version, while in NetBSD and
 > OpenBSD it continues to be called the RELEASE version."

Someone in the know needs to clarify this.

I always believed bug fixes did go into FreeBSD RELEASE,
certainly security fixes do, and that FreeBSD Stable was
a conservative version of CURRENT, getting new features from
CURRENT as they were deemed stable enough for general use,
with the chance of the occasional bug still remaining.

--
James Bailie <jimmy at jamesbailie.com>
http://www.jamesbailie.com