Installation Documentation Suggestion

Richard Koett richard at koett.ca
Mon Mar 27 09:32:38 UTC 2006

I had a slight problem following the installation instructions for FreeBSD when I got to this point:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-media.html

I had booted my computer from a CD that I burned using 5.4-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso, walked through a custom installation just fine till just after selecting the install media and being prompted:

   User Confirmation Requested Last Chance!
   Are you SURE you want to continue the installation?

I selected "Yes". The filesystems were created, then the following error occurred:

   Unable to transfer the base installation from acd0

This may sound incredibly stupid but I spent a fair bit of time trying to troubleshoot this before I tried removing the boot CD, inserting the on created from 5.4-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso and THEN selecting "Yes" to continue the installation.

I assumed that when it was necessary to swap CD's I would be prompted. This was not the case. In checking the installation instructions in the handbook there is also no mention of removing the boot CD and inserting the next one before continuing.

I realize that the CD image name contains the string "bootonly". Still, you might consider having the install script check for the correct CD or give some kind of reminder when to change it, or perhaps make a note in your instructions as to when the CD should be swapped.

Perhaps by pointing out where I got confused I can prevent some other dummy from getting caught the same way.

Cheers!
RPK.