docs/94867: Remove outdated KDM instructions from the FreeBSD handbook

Michael Nottebrock lofi at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 23 17:30:36 UTC 2006

>Number:         94867
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Remove outdated KDM instructions from the FreeBSD handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The information about KDM in chapter 5.7.3.1 is so
outdated that it became dangerously wrong - if someone actually attempted to do what is suggested there with a recent version of KDE/KDM, they'd completely
break their setup.

Setting up KDM these days is very trivial - from the FAQ on http://freebsd.kde.org:

Q11: How do I get kdm to work?
A11.1 Replace the ttyv8 line in /etc/ttys with:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

Since I don't think this alone is worth keeping the KDM section of the handbook, I propose to completely delete chapter 5.7.3.1 and 5.6.5.

Furthermore, the description of KDE in chapter 5.7.2.1 is inaccurate, specifically: "KDE has an office application suite based on KDE's
“KParts” technology consisting of a spread-sheet, a presentation application,
an organizer, a news client and more." This sentence should be removed as well.

Finally, section 5.7.3.2 has outdated information, too - these days, there is
no more 'Preferences' submenu in the K-Menu. Also, antialiased fonts have
been enabled by default in new KDE installations for some time and the QT_XFT
environment variable is no longer needed either - again, the whole chapter is
a candidate for removal.