conversion of "&" into "& " for "lower than" and "greater than" symbols in command examples

Denis SAGET geodni at free.fr
Wed Mar 22 12:37:22 UTC 2006

Hello,

In this page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html
some characters don't look like they should :
all the "<" and ">" used in commands for redirection are evaluated and
they look like "<" and ">" because of the "&" is converted to an
html one "&" into the html code...

Example from the refrenced page, a command looks like this :

gzip -c -best /sbin/init > /mnt/sbin/init

Not easy to read or copy/paste :)

I run FreeBSD for 5 years at least and use it at office/home for
different uses : servers (firewall, web, mail) and workstations
(sometimes diskless). I am very happy with it and I also use NetBSD for
diskless stations (Sun & SGI).

Regards,

Denis SAGET