cvs commit: www/en where.sgml

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Sat Mar 11 19:19:47 UTC 2006

Remko Lodder wrote:

> Ceri Davies wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 03:03:37PM +0000, Remko Lodder wrote:
>>
>>> remko       2006-03-11 15:03:37 UTC
>>>
>>>   FreeBSD doc repository
>>>
>>>   Modified files:
>>>     en                   where.sgml   Log:
>>>   Use &base; in the where.sgml file like other files also use.
>>>
>>>   PR:             www/94098
>>>   Submitted by:   Gabor Kovesdan <gabor dot kovesdan at t-hosting
>>> dot hu>
>>>     Revision  Changes    Path
>>>   1.81      +51 -51    www/en/where.sgml
>>

>> While I am not wildly opposed to this, I don't really see what this
>> gains us, other than to make the rendered page (at least) 102 bytes
>> larger (&base; being equivalent to "./" most of the time).
>>
>> I'm all for consistency, but perhaps we should go the other way.
>> Comments?
>>
>> Ceri
>

> Well, If we use it throughout the tree we should do it for consistency.
> That was my goal with the commit.  I can agree with you that &base; = .
> seems somewhat bogus, but when we change the base entity declaration we
> have everything in place to be updated in one go.
>
> So i can see your point, and i can see the other point..
>
> Do others have ideas as well? Copied -doc for that reason so that we
> have a broad base to get this right :)
>
> Thanks for the feedback though!

Currently, I'm translating the FreeBSD Webpage to Hungarian, and I
intend to send the webpage back to the project when I have finished it.
There are parts that aren't worth to translate, because they're changing
fluently or irrelevant for the Hungarian community, etc. For example, I
don't want to translate all the release notes, because this means a huge
work, and I can't guarantee that I would be able to keep it up-to-date
and translate the release notes after each release. I will link these
pages with using &enbase;. I could use "../" as well, but I think that
would be quite awkward and not really transparent. Using either &base;
or &enbase; in the whole codebase makes the whole code much more
transparent and clear

As I see, the French Webpage uses the same approach, but e.g. the German
Webpage uses &base;/../ in these case, which is very ugly. It would be
nice if we introduced a new rule for this. If you accept my point I can
work on reviewing the translations and sending patches to standardize
this, so that we have smart, transparent and consistent code in the
whole webpage.

Gabor Kovesdan