docs/99551: The Handbook erroneously advises that a wireless card with a Prism chipset is required for Access Point operation

Nick Withers nick at nickwithers.com
Tue Jun 27 13:50:22 UTC 2006

>Number:         99551
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       The Handbook erroneously advises that a wireless card with a Prism chipset is required for Access Point operation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The FreeBSD Handbook advises in the "Wireless Networking" chapter ("http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html") that "In order to set up a wireless access point with FreeBSD, you need to have a compatible wireless card. Currently, only cards with the Prism chipset are supported".

However, any supported card can be used (confirmed by Sam Leffler).

All the cards based on the Prism chipset listed as supported in wi(4)'s man page are rather old, with none supporting 802.11g and all increasingly difficult to procure. Updating the documentation to reflect the truth would better communicate FreeBSD's current potential in the wireless arena and potentially avoid sending readers on quests to find old, essentially outdated hardware.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I was going to attempt to produce a diff to "doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking/chapter.sgml" to update the page, but really don't think I have enough knowledge of the subject matter to do so with any great confidence in the results.

The whole wireless networking section could do with a bit of TLC, really, and "http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html" appears to be a giant leap in the right direction.