docs/98974: Missing tunables in loader(8) manpage

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 15 11:10:24 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/98974; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
To: Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net>
Cc: jelte at NLnetLabs.nl, freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/98974: Missing tunables in loader(8) manpage
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:02:35 -0400

 On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:52:27 +0100
 Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net> wrote:

 > On 15/6/06 09:41, "Jelte Jansen" <jelte at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:
 >
 > > Some tunables (at least kern.maxdsiz, to set the maximum allowed datasize for
 > > processes which defaults to 512 mb) are not documented in any manual page i
 > > could find. These would probably go in loader(8). The only place i found where
 > > it is even mentioned is /boot/defaults/loader.conf, but the information there
 > > is too sparse to know what values to use and what it's for.
 >
 > Some moons ago, Tom Rhodes was working on a new manpage for tunables.
 >
 > Tom, is this still ongoing (or did it even get committed and I didn't
 > notice)?

 And I was really wondering if I should follow up.  It appears
 there is a slight difference between tunables and sysctls.
 To be honest, I don't see it, but yea.  Anyway, I created a
 simple script to find and document as many as plausible:

 src/tools/tools/sysdoc

 If someone can do something better with it, then yay.  Eventually
 I may redo it in C, but I doubt.

 --
 Tom Rhodes