Hardware notes: token ring, fddi and atm interfaces

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 13 17:09:49 UTC 2006

If memory serves me right, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I just noticed that the hardware notes contain three empty sections
> for TR, FDDI and ATM interfaces:
>
> http://localhost:8080/releases/6.1R/hardware-amd64.html#FDDI
>
> Is this intentional/optimal/old cruft ?

Some combination of the first and the last.

It's an artifact of the (stupid) way that I tried to generate separate
hardware note documents for each architecture.  When I first did this
work, we only supported i386 and alpha, but the way we do conditional
inclusion of text just doesn't scale very well to the number of
architectures we have.

I am leaning towards the idea that the right way to do this now is to
have unified, mostly-MI release documentation (i.e. release notes,
hardware notes, installation guide) annotated appropriately in the
places that need to be MD.

Bruce.