documentation licence

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 21:53:14 UTC 2006

Gorgonite wrote:
> Hello

Hi...

> I've already your licence for the documentation.
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-doc-license.html
>
> Unfortunately, I don't understand very well that I can do with it...

The license says you may "redistribute and use" the FreeBSD documentation.

> I've written for me a more simple documentation about the use of gvinum, and
> I would like to put it on my website, with a licence such as the FDL

You can write your own documentation and put it under any license you want.

> In this documentation, some pictures are taken from your documentation...
> may it cause an issue ?  (Of coursen, I can do other picture myself...)

Several Linux projects have used some parts of the FreeBSD documentation as a
starting point, and that's OK.

Of course, they continued to give credit to the FreeBSD original, and the
materials which came from FreeBSD are still under the BSD license, not
anything else.  Nothing in the FreeBSD license gives you the right to
relicense the FreeBSD materials under other terms, although creating a
compilation of materials is fine so long as the licenses are compatible.

--
-Chuck