docs/35943: at(1) config files are misplaced in /var/at/

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 7 14:30:53 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/35943; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, swear at blarg.net
Subject: Re: docs/35943: at(1) config files are misplaced in /var/at/
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:46:58 +0300

 On 2006-06-07 01:23, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Gary states: at(1) should look in /etc for the files.
 > Giorgos states: Not a bad idea, but it should be backwords compat.

 I don't know how many people use at(1), but I do all the time.

 If we change the place where its files are kept, then it should be done
 with a big fat warning in src/UPDATING; that's all.

 > I say:
 >
 > If we are going to do something like this, I'd like to see the
 > following requirements met:
 >
 > 1: We do add support for at least both file locations and
 >    wrap the old one in BURN_BRIDGES.
 >
 > 2: Follow the POSIX example and drop the files in /usr/lib/cron
 >    instead of /etc.  Linux drops them in /etc.  Solaris and
 >    POSIX looks for them in /usr/lib/cron.  I'd prefer to follow
 >    POSIX and Solaris here.

 POSIX is fine and a good goal, but I think the BSDs tend to pick the
 ``BSD way'' when there is an important conflict.  I don't remember the
 exact email message where I read this, but people more experienced with
 the topic -- whose opinion I trust better than mine a lot of the time --
 like Bruce Evans, are in a better position to make the choise :)

 - Giorgos