Request for review, rc.d-related updates for handbook

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Jan 17 09:37:27 UTC 2006

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Doug Barton pí¹e v po 16. 01. 2006 v 18:12 -0800:
>
>> I've gone through the handbook and updated a few areas related to the rc.d
>> new world order, and would appreciate review, especially for style, of my
>> patch, since it's been a while since I've done anything beyond simple doc work.
>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/doc-rc.d.diff
>
> Watch whitespace, you converted leading tab to eight-spaces on one
> place.

Fixed.

> +	<link linkend="configtuning-rcd">rcd</link> section,
> perhaps ">rc.d</link> instead?

Ah, yes. I had already fixed the other two, as I agreed with your opinion
here. I just fixed this one too.

> Regarding Porter's Handbook patch, what's wrong with opening the text
> with "Startup scripts"?

They don't only control services at startup.

> It's general text and more clear to reader than
> "rc.d scripts". Wtf are "rc.d scripts".

I'm definitely open to a better suggestion here.

> Don't use term before you explain it.

Generally I agree with you, however this is not the section that defines
this topic, that's done in the handbook. However, I'm still open to better
ideas here.

> + <literal>%%X11BASE%%</literal> macros is strongly encouraged as well.
> I'm not sure these are really "macros" - they are more expansions or
> replacements.

OK, I subbed "expansion" here.

> -      <para>Integration with &man.rcorder.8; is available by using
> -	<makevar>USE_RCORDER</makevar> instead of
> -	<makevar>USE_RC_SUBR</makevar>.
> Why you deleted this block? It's still valid for 6.0-R and older - we do
> support ports on older -STABLE branches. Put it back and perhaps add
> "Prior to &os; 6.1-RELEASE, " ?

I added what you suggested, along with a mention that this is deprecated
(which was the reason for removing it). I really don't want people to depend
on this, as it doesn't do what I think people think it does.

> +	and the latter sets one if the variable is unset OR null.
> If the OR is ment as an emphasis, use docbook markup instead of capital
> letters.

OK.

> -	  value of <makevar>USE_RC_SUBR</makevar> and
> -	  <makevar>USE_RCORDER</makevar> are automatically added to
> +	  value of <makevar>USE_RC_SUBR</makevar>
> +	  are automatically added to the
> Again, why this change?

See above.

Thanks for this feedback, I've uploaded a new version of the patch with the
changes you suggested incorporated.

Doug

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough