cvs commit: www/share/sgml includes.navdevelopers.sgml

Joel Dahl joel at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 24 15:41:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 19:58 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure that having different ways to get to the same material
> is really all that bad.  However, I agree the navigation hierarchy should
> be as clean as possible.

Agreed.

> > My proposals below describe ways to make this material accessible in
> > fewer clicks than yours and with less clutter.
>
> I think we can all agree on these goals.

Yes, absolutely.

> If we change "Developers" to "Development" I think pushing the projects
> down makes more sense, and might shift the emphasis more towards the
> process and the product (of interest to users) than the people (primarily
> of interest to the people themselves).  e.g. break the links up into
> who/what/where/when:
>
> Development -> release engineering (when)
> Development -> current projects (what)
> Development -> developer policies (who)
> Development -> development resources (where)

Hm, I like this idea.  I can probably spend some time on this if this is
considered an acceptable solution to the previous mentioned problems.

> The resources would probably only be of interest to current developers,
> but it _might_ be to prospective developers.  (I know that I read through
> all those pages when I was figuring out if I wanted to get more involved.)
> The policies IMHO are _definitely_ of interest to prospective developers.

Yes, I did the same thing.  I read _everything_ related to FreeBSD in
some way before I became a committer.  Standards, policies, conventions,
traditions - you name it.  Making these things more accessible is a good
thing.

--
Joel - joel at FreeBSD dot org