How to handle localized characters ans special symbols?

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 6 12:29:02 UTC 2006

Kövesdán Gábor <gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu> wrote
  in <43E7298B.20206 at t-hosting.hu>:

ga> I've found out, it's not just about the charset used by the browser. The
ga> SGML parser substitutes ő with Q. If ő remained in the html
ga> files, the browser would display them correctly. I tried to put this to

 Isn't o" õ in ISO-8859-2?  I think ő is the one in UTF.

ga> I get a new problem recently, too. According to
ga> http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso8879doc/isolat1.html the entities
ga> á é etc... are accepted standards in the XML language, but
ga> if I put these character into an .xsl file, e.g. index.xsl the web build
ga> will fail.

 Yes, it is a problem.  I am planning to fix this.

ga> Anyway, I've realized if I simply write a character ő into the sgml
ga> sources it remaines good, but I don't know how standard and portable
ga> this solution is. I would like to make my work as standard and portable
ga> as it can be.

 If you try to write a document which mainly uses ascii characters,
 please use entity reference.  If you cannot use the entity reference
 for localized document which uses non-ascii characters massively (Asian
 languages, Russian, and so on, for example), please explicitly specify
 the encoding and use native characters.