How to handle localized characters ans special symbols?

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Sat Feb 4 19:33:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm translating the FreeBSD webpage to Hungarian. I haven't done too
much so far, because I don't have too much spare time, but I'll finish
this translation. Today, I made a test build. You can see this here:
http://tux.t-hosting.hu/data
The most part of it is still in English but there are some translated
pages. The build succeeded quite good, I've found my mistakes easily and
managed to build the site, but I have troubles with one of the localized
characters. This is The o letter with two commas on it. Its standard
html code is ő, but the sgml parser substitutes it with a Q char. I
don't see why does it happen and don't know how to fix it. There are two
more problematic characters, and they are ® and ™. They are
also substituted in a wrong way. See:
http://tux.t-hosting.hu/data/about.html
You can notice the Z character with a ˇ sign after the word Pentium and
a " after Athlon.
How could I correctly display these characters? Please tell me what to
do so that we have a nice Hungarian webpage. :)

(I use Firefox and it selects the ISO-8859-2 Central European encoding
automatically.)

Thanks in advance,

Gabor Kovesdan