Removing CIDR references (Was: Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install chapter.sgml)

Niclas Zeising niclas.zeising at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 22:16:04 UTC 2006

Niclas Zeising wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> [ Moving to -doc ]
>>
>> Niclas Zeising wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe we should mention somewhere that the old class A/B/C networks
>>> have been obsoleted by CDIR
>>
>> It's probably worth having a brief paragraph about this if someone
>> wants to write one up.
>>
>>> and not simply remove all references to it.
>>
>> The terminology is over a decade obsolete. Continuing to refer to it
>> makes us look silly.
>>
>>> I also think we should explain a bit about how CDIR works, as
>>> someone suggested. You can also point people to
>>> http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/infra/corpinfo/en_US/501302.pdf which
>>> explains a lot about CDIR, subnetting and whatnot.
>>
>> Good suggestion, if someone wants to write it up. :)
>>
>> Doug
>>

> I can probably hack something together later this week. At least a
> "draft" to have something to start with.
> Regards!
> //Niclas

Looking into it a bit closer, I figured that the install chapter maybe
isn't the best place to discuss CDIR and all that stuff. Maybe we should
break some of the items from the Network Device Configuration and
subsequent sections into something like "Basic Network Configuration"
and put that in the network part (part VI) of the handbook. Then we can
fatten it up a bit, talk more about CDIR, route aggregation and whatnot.
Or is that making it too off-topic?
It also has the drawback that we don't mention CDIR vs A/B/C-nets in the
same place that it was originally mentioned.

What do you guys out there think? Ideas, suggestions?
Regards!
//Niclas