Handbook custom kernel procedure missing?

John Murphy freebsd001 at freeode.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 14:54:16 UTC 2006

The Handbook Chapter 8.3 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html>

States "If you have installed only the kernel source code, use procedure 1."

I have indeed installed only the kernel source code, but can't seem to find
any further reference to "procedure 1". I have tried the:
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
procedure which results in the error:
make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop

There is a note which says "It is required to have full FreeBSD source tree
to build the kernel." which seems to contradict the line which mentions
"procedure 1".

What usually happens is that the answer becomes obvious as soon as I send
the message, but in case that doesn't happen, could someone kindly remind
me what procedure 1 is, and amend the fine handbook if appropriate.

--
Thanks, John.