merge query-pr.cgi and query-pr-summary.cgi, fix -T mode with new perl

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 28 21:13:39 UTC 2006

Hello Simon,

> On 2006.08.27 15:41:06 +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
>> Sunday, August 27, 2006, 3:01:23 PM, you wrote:

>> > What exactly is the advantage of combining the two into one CGI
>> > script?
>>
>> It's not big deal...
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=35647

> Hey,

> Ah, I did seem to recall the suggestion from somewhere.

Yeah, that PR is there for a long time, I wanted to get rid of it.

> I generally like keeping the CGI scripts as simple as possible - it
> makes them easier to read and modify.  Especially scripts which do
> multiple tasks based on how they are called have a tendency to get
> more complicated than needed (at least that's my experience).

I see your point and I basically agree with you. On the other hand, I
can say that the merge didn't really made the the script complicatged.
There is only one condition which decides if we are looking for exact
PR or we are querying GNATS for PRs with specified conditions.

> From my reading of the PR the problem is mainly that we have two
> different HTML pages to look up a PR by number and to search.  A much
> simpler way to solve this would IMO be to have one HTML page with both
> forms which then simply submits to the right CGI script.  This could
> either be a seperate HTML page or the form could just included in
> query-pr-summery.cgi.

> How does that sound instead of completely merging the scripts?

I can't say it sounds bad to me, after all it's pretty good idea.

- where would we place that form?
- do we want to seek for referencies of these scripts in our docs and
  update them to refer to the new form?

It would be not problem for me to do it this way, but as far as I have
merged these scripts, I'm going to stand by my work :-)

Of course, I'm open for discussions and if we prefer this or the other
way, just let me know and I will undergo the steps needed, and get
this worked out. So people, please tell me your suggestions and let me
work the way that will be efficient! :)

Anyway, the working cgi is available now at the url posted in the
first email (the security review was required first). I have also
implemented the query-pr-summary.cgi?www/12345 queries to have
the merge complete.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org