FreeBSD's SVG logos are broken(was Re: FreeBSD Logo)

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:07:49 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org> wrote:
> On 22/08/2006 08:14, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > FreeBSD's SVG logos are broken. They do not "render" correctly in
> > browsers with native SVG support, AFAIK Firefox 1.5 and Opera 9 are
> > the only browsers with "native" SVG support.
> >
> > If you do have a browser with "native" SVG support try viewing the SVG
> > logo here: http://www.freebsd.org/logo/logo-basic.svg
>
> I'm not familiar with SVG but could it be that logos are rendered
> badly in firefox because SVG 1.1 is not fully supported?
>
> Here's implementation status:
>         http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/status.html
>
> Just a thought. I'm not sure about Opera.

I tried exporting it has SVG 1.0. If you open the SVG file in a text
editor (it's XML) the logos that don't render correctly have raster
images encoded inline. I believe this is why they don't render
correctly.

Also It doesn't matter what the problems are, we still need to
separate the logos and provide them in alternate forms, EPS and a
hi-res Tiff image. You can't send 10 images in one file to press...
It's not how the print industry works.... Like I said in my previous
post, I'll do the work but only if I get a nod from a commiter with
access to the website.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/