smtpd config

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 9 00:00:55 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-06 19:11, John Andrewartha <mulgajohn at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the time,
>
> I have Feebsd 6.1 and am trying to get smtpd to work.
>
> It builds and runs OK when I do a telnet localhost 25 the session is
> imediatly terminated when I should get smtp or esmtp.  The log tells
> me that file or directory not found.
>
> Looking in the +CONTENT file suggests removal of /var/smtpd.
> So where does everything go ?
>
> The official website appears to, have dropped the docs, and with no
> man pages.

First of all, please note that freebsd-doc is not a help list, but a
mailing list devoted to the discussion of our documentation and web-site
sources.  For general technical questions about every-day operation and
usage of FreeBSD, you should post to freebsd-questions in the future.

Having said that, FreeBSD includes a fairly recent version of the
Sendmail mail transfer agent.  There is no /var/smtpd directory or file
that is involved in setting up and running Sendmail.

Are you trying to configure Sendmail, or some other SMTP daemon?

If you are not trying to configure Sendmail, what SMTP daemon does your
message refer to and how was it installed on your system?

-- Giorgos