Handbook update, section 10.5...

Philippe Pouliquen philippe at alpha.ece.jhu.edu
Tue Apr 18 17:30:40 UTC 2006

Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be a way of contacting Dan Pelleg (author of section
10.5 of the FreeBSD handbook) directly, so here is my input on installing
Matlab under FreeBSD:

The errors of the form:

[: -ne: unary operator expected

which occur when starting Matlab or the FlexLM license manager can be
resolved by setting the environment variable EXPR_COMPAT in the Matlab
startup script (the one that goes in /usr/local/bin) and in the FlexLM
startup script (the one that goes in /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

I think this is preferable to the fix recommended by Dan Pelleg in section
10.5.4, which requires hand editing of all incompatible uses of the test
([) command in all the shell scripts in the Matlab installation directory.

I have used the following lines for this:

EXPR_COMPAT=true
export EXPR_COMPAT

Philippe Pouliquen
The Johns Hopkins University