Reordering the rc.conf manual page

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 15 23:41:56 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-15 19:18, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:29:26 +0300
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> > On 2005-09-15 06:23, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've done some simple reordering of our rc.conf.5 manual page. [...]
> >
> > The changes include both reordering and text additions (probably
> > removals too, I haven't had a thorough look at the diff).  Is it
> > possible to make this two patches, one with only moving around of
> > existing text and one with new/deleted text?
>
> Actually, I did absolutely nothing to the original text other than
> add to it.  I agree, moving it around and adding new text should
> be separate commits.  Will handle.  This is just a "proof of
> concept" patch which was only to arouse interest.
  [...]
> What do you think about the idea of what I'm doing though?  :)

It certainly looks like a good idea.

Alphabetically sorted variable names may make sense if they are all part
of a single huge group, without any obvious separation.  I have to note
that rc.conf variables lend themselves very easily to grouping of some
sort though.

I've been using "sections" in my rc.conf files for ages.  Right now, I'm
typing this on a system whose rc.conf is split into the following general
categories of options:

    # Network Interfaces
    # Misc Other Network Stuff
    # Enabled Services
    # Disabled Services
    # Firewall Settings
    # Mail Trasfer Agent Options
    # Console Options
    # Other System Options

This separation is, of course, just a matter of personal preference, and
doesn't really matter at all when rc.conf is loaded by rc.d scripts --
all the options are slurped in anywa.

If my original post sounded like I didn't like the change, then by all
means go for it.  It *is* useful, IMHO.

- Giorgos