docs/87351: Jail building instructions don't work as described with default CSH shell

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 26 12:10:25 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/87351; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org>
Cc: Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net>, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/87351: Jail building instructions don't work as described with default CSH shell
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:05:54 +0300

 On 2005-10-25 19:17, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 >On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:40:54 -0700
 >Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
 >>On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 12:10:20AM +0000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 >>>  I'd certainly support adding a note that these commands work fine fror
 >>>  sh(1) and other Bourne shells.  Then we can probably add another set of
 >>>  commands for csh, if that seems nice to have.
 >>
 >> Shell examples are traditionally in sh.  I'd really rather not see use
 >> bloat every instance of them with a csh example.  Users can always type
 >> "sh".
 >
 > I'm inclined to agree with Brooks.

 Alright then.  How about this change?

 % Index: jail.8
 % ===================================================================
 % RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/usr.sbin/jail/jail.8,v
 % retrieving revision 1.70
 % diff -u -r1.70 jail.8
 % --- jail.8      7 Aug 2005 20:53:29 -0000       1.70
 % +++ jail.8      26 Oct 2005 12:03:42 -0000
 % @@ -110,10 +110,11 @@
 %  man page for further details.
 %  .Sh EXAMPLES
 %  .Ss "Setting up a Jail Directory Tree"
 % -This example shows how to set up a jail directory tree
 % -containing an entire
 % +To set up a jail directory tree containing an entire
 %  .Fx
 % -distribution:
 % +distribution, the following
 % +.Xr sh 1
 % +command script can be used:
 %  .Bd -literal
 %  D=/here/is/the/jail
 %  cd /usr/src

 This way the reader knows that this is an sh(1) command script.

 One may argue that people who are setting up jails are already admins
 who should be able to understand if a script is meant to be run through
 sh(1), csh(1) or even both, but I'll never stop being a fan of a little
 more clarity :-)