docs/87445: comments for improvement of handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 15 13:32:23 UTC 2005

On 2005.10.15 13:20:37 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:58:37AM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> >                                                     Or perhaps
> > 4.X will be knifed from the handbook.  And most likely, the
> > only people who will expect it coming will be those that aren't
> > going to stand in my way.[1]  :)
> >
> > [1]: Please don't take that as if it's rude, I'm actually
> >      joking around with it.  Cause I know that if someone
> >      tried that, well, to core && doceng they'd be explaining.
>
> Actually that's a great idea.  There's no reason why we couldn't, like
> today, commit a copy of the current handbook to handbook4 and then get
> rid of all the crud from the real handbook.  Same deal with the FAQ.
> The information is still available then, but we no longer have to tear
> our own hair own trying to maintain the documents.

Wouldn't it be better to create a branch and do appropriate magic in
the web build to handle it?  We already have magic that handles
building the release notes from different branches.

While I generally don't care much about repo bloat, starting a trend
with making a copy of the Handbook for each FreeBSD major version
seems a bit wasteful to me, especially since CVS actually does have a
concept for handling situations like this.  Especially since I don't
expect to see many commits to the 4.X Handbook.

This would also make it simpler to do make merges back to the 4.X
handbook if/when needed.

If people prefer the "copy way" I won't stand in the way, it just
doesn't seem like the best solution from my point of view.

Just for reference:

[simon at eddie:~] du -shc /home/ncvs/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook
 19M    /home/ncvs/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook

--
Simon L. Nielsen