comments for improvement of handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Thu Oct 13 20:26:43 UTC 2005

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-
config.html

I'd like to offer some quick comments, after spending several hours
reading and googling only to verify the fairly obvious but that wasn't
spelled out.  My comments to improve this page include

1.  Start the beginning.  What does the kernel configuration file do?
If the following statement is true, let's put this (or something
similar) somewhere near the top:

	"The kernel configuratioon file defines the modules which will be
built statically into the kernel.  You would change this file to remove
modules from your kernel, or to change some kernel options. It does not
limit or prevent you from adding dynamically loadable modules later.
If you want to include a loadable module in your kernel, you don't need
to rebuild your kernel configuration."

This appears to be true, and running several kernel builds appears to
prove it, but just determining whether or not it was true was downright
difficult.

2. Move the comment about NOTES/LINT to the bottom.  It's unlikely that
your average kernel builder would care about most of this stuff, and
they should read to the bottom anyway.  It's kindof "if we didn't talk
about it here..." kind of comment anyway.  It certainly confuses the
subject when you first hit this page.

3. Identify which modules are required for a kernel to boot.  Or have
some discussion of this.  And in general -- what does it mean when I
remove a module?  Can I remove plip from the kernel but have it
installed as a .ko so that I can load it dynamically later on if by
some reason I decide to use it?  What's the limitations of this
approach?

And lastly, stop with the intertwined 4.x and 5.x (and soon 6.x)
comments.  If there are different answers, put them in separate blocks.
  Maybe color them separately.  It's incredibly frustrating to go
through a paragraph and then hit an else near the end that makes you
wonder just how many statements before the else are being negated.

> device   gif           # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
>
> This implements IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling, IPv4 over IPv6 tunneling,
> IPv4 over IPv4 tunneling, and IPv6 over IPv6 tunneling. Beginning with
> FreeBSD 4.4 the gif device is “auto-cloning”, and you should use the
> line pseudo-device gif. Earlier versions of FreeBSD 4.X require a
> number, for example pseudo-device gif 4.

Huh?  What?  Did I read this right?  Instead, why not:

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek