Immediate Question (Help!)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Oct 12 20:41:46 UTC 2005

[This sort of question should be asked on the freebsd-questions list.
Also, please configure your mailer to wrap your lines at <78 columns.]

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:23:22PM -0700, John Baez wrote:
> Dear: Members
>
> Im a newbie and im downloading the packages via ftp.  My question is,
> I have seen the many folders available ,but my concern is with the
> PACKAGES folder.  How much is enough and which should be of choice, so
> far from reading I've been reading your online doc's, I decided to dl
> the ( x (files), www, graphichs, emulator among other which I think
> are important.
>
> Do I really need the Latest folder?  (It seems very lengthy is it
> necessary?)  Please get back to me on this.  I think that the folder
> (latest) is just direct acess for ftp use from freebsd in case
> something is not found.
>
> Please let me know what should be of main use from the Packages
> folder.  I need some help with that.

In general, you don't want to do this.  You want to download only
those packages you actually need and their dependencies.  Simply
downloading directories will result in packages you can't install due
to dependencies you didn't download and a lot of wasted bandwidth.  It
is possible to download everything though that won't get you all ports
due to license restrictions.  That will require 11GB of disk space and
probably be obsolete before you finish. :)

-- Brooks