Suggestion to update the installation guide.

Ben Racine wisher21 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 17:53:38 UTC 2005

I've only been using FreeBSD for a few months here, but in that time I've
gained a good deal of experience with it
and I've truly appreciated how nice it's been to work with in general.
However, I did have some issues with a full installation when I first got
started, which I detailed here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-hackers/2005-September/013730.html

Now, the installation guide doesn't cover how to actually perform a full
installation from a DOS partition with the newer 2 CD installation,
and I can definitely see some situations where it's necessary to install
this way, as I've run into them myself.

I would like to contribute to the project in this small way, and submit an
updated installation guide subsection which explains how to perform
the equivalent of a full cd installation from a DOS partition.

The easiest way to do this is to:

Extract the ISO images for both of the cds and merge them both into one tree

Modify the cdrom.inf and INDEX files appropriately

My question is, at this point, I know what I'd like to do, however, I'm
still rather new at this all. I would like to contribute this to the
community, and I'd be happy to submit an appropriately modified cdrom.inf,
INDEX file, and updated guide for performing a full DOS installation.

Would this viewed as appropriate, and if so, how do I go about this? I know
that personally, having this information included would have saved me many
hours of guesswork. What do I need to do and where should I direct this?

Thank you,

Ben Racine