Confusing section of the FAQ

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 07:07:09 UTC 2005

Josh,

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT
>
> 9.22. How do I let ordinary users mount floppies, CDROMs and other
> removable media?
>
> Question 2  uses /dev/cd0c for it's example.
> Question 3 uses /dev/acd0 for it's example.
> Question 4 uses /dev/cd0c again.
>
> There's no mention of which drive type (SCSI vs. IDE) uses which
> device  Before I submit a patch I would like to know if this seems
> vague or confusing to anyone except myself.

Josh,

See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=76942

The commit at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml#rev1.690
is a somewhat different patch than I originally submitted.

In my original patch, still available at
http://zanchey.ucc.asn.au/freebsd/usermount.faq.book.sgml.patch, it sticks
with acd0, because (generally speaking) new users/readers of the FAQ will
have IDE drives.

(I realise that not everyone uses IDE, and I should clarify this point. In
my experience, users with SCSI drives are generally slightly more clueful
than those with just IDE drives.)

I didn't have any problems with the version committed by jcamou@, mainly because I
didn't spot this inconsistency.

The best course of action here, I think, is probably to submit a separate
patch and PR (because mine has been closed) and say something like
"Problem introduced in commit 1.689 as a result of docs/76942".

A good spot on your behalf!

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au