Doxygen docu for parts of the FreeBSD kernel

Tue Mar 29 14:12:03 UTC 2005

Doug Rabson <dfr at nlsystems.com> wrote:
On 29 Mar 2005, at 14:36, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> > Doug Rabson <dfr at nlsystems.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You could also take a look at /usr/src/sys/doc/{Makefile,Doxyfile}
> >> which already generates docs for the kernel...
> >
> > I didn't knowed about it. What about
> >  - "doxygen -u"?
>
> That would end  up modifying Doxyfile every time you ran it? I would
> prefer that the thing worked with a read-only source tree (possibly
> with an option for upgrading when you really intend it).

Sorry, my intention was to suggest an update of the Doxyfile by hand, since
doxygen has some new features, e.g. generating multiple output files in one
dot(1) run (for recent versions of dot).

I prefer that it works with a read-only source tree to.

> >  - making the doxygen documentation available on our web pages?
>
> I don't know any of the people responsible for the FreeBSD web site.
> It would be nice to include an 'annotated kernel' on the website

[doc@ CCed]
Is there anyone out there who is able to integrate the output of "cd
/usr/src/sys/doc; make all" (or similar for
http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-Dox.tar.bz2) into our website?

> >  - defining __FreeBSD__ to 6?
>
> This should change. I did the thing last year while current was still
> 5-current.

ATM it isn't defined at all... except I've overloked it.

> > It's nice if you want the complete picture, but if you're only >
> interested in
> > a part of the kernel it needs a lot of time to generate the docs >
> (compared
> > to my modular aproach).
>
> I haven't had a chance to look at your version yet. At work we use
> doxygen on a large modular project and the tag-file feature works
> really well for binding the various module's documentation together.

That's the way I did it. I've broken up the kernel into different parts
(sound, usb, i4b, ...) which reference other parts with the tag-file
feature. I may not have all dependencies correct, and I haven't all parts of
the kernel added to the set, but I think it's already usable if you're
interested in just a part of the kernel.

Bye,
Alexander.

No matter what happens, there is always someone who knew it would.