Mathematica 5 installation - updated

Boris Hollas hollas at informatik.uni-ulm.de
Tue Mar 29 07:42:25 UTC 2005

Dear Marc,

> May we keep from the current section:
>
> "The Linux version of Mathematica runs perfectly under FreeBSD however
> the binaries shipped by Wolfram need to be branded so that FreeBSD
> knows to use the Linux ABI to execute them."

yes.

> What is the location of MathInstaller?

the installer is located in
mathematica-501-linux/Installer/MathInstaller

> In fact if we keep current infos from "10.3.1 Branding the Linux
> Binaries", this answers to my question.

no, the directories are different. Also, it is not necessary to copy the
linux binaries to the hard drive.

> Can we keep the current "Obtaining Your Mathematica Password" section?
> since it gives an example.

yes, we can keep this, but the path to mathinfo is different. The
mathinfo program is located below the installation directory. This in
turn depends on the location where Mathematica is installed on the hard
drive, which can be chosen by the user. On my system, the path is

/usr/local/share/Mathematica5/SystemFiles/Installation/Binaries/Linux/m
athinfo

> > 10.3.4 Running the Mathematica Frontend over a Network
> Is that part still correct with Mathematica 5.X ?

I don't know since I don't run it over a network. I suggest we keep it
with a note that this part was not updated for Mathematica 5.

Regards,

Boris