Pentium Pro -- Yes and No ??

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 6 07:24:09 UTC 2005

On 2005.03.05 22:27:19 -0800, Bill wrote:

> Trivial point. Do you support the Pentium Pro Architecture in SMP?

If the appropriate support exist on the motherboard (an APIC) I think
it should work, but since some older systems did not really comply
with the specifications it could be it won't work on your particular
system.  Really the best way to find out is to try :-).

> Pages on the website are confusing.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/i386.html --->> Hardware List
> omits this CPU. It's i386/i686 but....?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html -->> paragraph 2
> lists it.
>
> Trivial but vague. My guess would be yes, but I doubt there's any reason
> for contradiction.

No, I will look at fixing it.  Thanks for letting us know about it.

--
Simon L. Nielsen