docs/75711: opendir manpage

abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net
Wed Mar 2 03:50:17 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/75711; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net
To: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida at freebsd.org>
Cc: abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/75711: opendir manpage
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:49:15 GMT

 > abc at ai1.anchorage.mtaonline.net wrote:
 > > man opendir(), only the closedir() info states errno settings.

 > The opendir() implementation in libc calls the following functions or
 > systems calls that may fail: close(), fcntl(), fstat(), malloc(),
 > mergesort(), open(), stat(), reallocf().

 > Should we document the join of all the possible errors these calls may
 > fail with in opendir()'s manpage?

 the manpage should at LEAST state that it sets the
 extern "errno", otherwise, it is assumed it doesn't,
 and this assumption can easily result in programming
 catastrophies.

 if "errno" is not documented, and thus, not checked
 for in a program, "errno" will get trapped by some
 other function that does check for it.

 all calls that may set "errno" should explicity
 say so - so programmers can check for it after
 a call.

 thank you.