compile kernel on a powerfull computer and move it to another. WORKS?? (plain text)

Joseph Koshy joseph.koshy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 15:41:25 UTC 2005

Simi,

sk> I have installed FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and now I what to
sk> upgrade it to FreeBSD 5.4, I know that I have to  <make
sk> buildworld> first ,

If you are upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.4, you'll need to
update userland, kernel and kernel modules together.

On your 'fast' machine, you could do a:

  make installworld DESTDIR=/new-root-dir

and move the entire contents of /new-root-dir over.  You'll
need to be careful not to clobber your existing configuration,
so it would be best to extract /new-root-dir into a fresh
partition on the slow machine, then boot from this partition
at boot time and then patch things up.

I wouldn't recommend this procedure to a person new to FreeBSD.
It may be easier to use the 5.4 release CDs to upgrade the
'slow' machine.  And don't forget to take backups! :)

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy