Fwd: ACL not supported on 5.4?

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sun Jun 12 02:08:57 UTC 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>> Are handbook bugs handled through send-pr like everything else?
>

> Yep.  Although it's OK to forward the thread over to freebsd-doc and
> hope someone does a quick fix, too.  :-)  It would help to mention which
> section of the handbook is out-of-sync with the manpages....

Thanks, I forgot about the doc list.

The relevant handbook section is 14.12.1 (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/fs-acl.html) and the offending text is the first sentence of the second to last paragraph and describes the -k flag of the setfacl command. It reads

"The -k flag will remove all of the currently defined ACLs from a file or file system."

which would indicate that -k can operate on regular files. According to the portion of the man page setfacl(1) regarding the -k flag

"An error will be reported if any of the specified files cannot have a default entry (i.e. non-directo-ries)."

which indicates that it doesn't work on ordinary files. I propose the following replacement text for the offending sentence. Feel free to come up with something better.

"The -k flag will remove all of the currently defined ACLs from a directory."