FreeBSD Handbook, X11 Configuration

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Jan 21 16:09:03 UTC 2005

On 2005-01-20 19:51, Art Bugorski <captainpinko at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...] when X started I was frustrated to discover that my scroll
> wheel on my mouse wasn't working. I had it working under Linux (SuSE
> 9.1) with the same DE (KDE 3.3) so I assumed it was a driver issue.
>
> Fortunately, I mentioned the issue during a rant on a user forum
> where someone pointed that I just had to add:
>
> Option "Buttons" "5"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> to my X11 configuration file for the scroll wheel to work. I did
> this and the mouse worked flawlessly.

This is mentioned in passing in the FAQ, but we should definitely add
something in the X11 chapter about setting up a wheel mouse.  I'll try
to come up with a good way to do this later tonight, but if anyone
beats me to it and sends patches before I have something ready, that
would be great too :)

- Giorgos