New 5.3p5; broken security advisory listing

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jan 20 05:18:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:11:09PM -0600, Alan Amesbury wrote:
> Recently I noticed in RELENG_5_3 that FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE-p5 now
> exists.  The entry in /usr/src/UPDATING says
>
>    20050114:       p5      FreeBSD-EN-05:03.ipi
>            Avoid more than two pending IPI interrupt vectors per local
>            APIC as this may cause deadlocks.
>

> This sounds serious enough to warrant an entry in the 5.3 errata list,
> but the one at
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html

That is the errata that existed at the time 5.3 was released.  We
didn't know about this problem at that time.

> shows nothing relating to this.  I realize y'all have real lives, too,
> but it seemed unusual to me that a patch would find its way into the
> production branch without any indication in the usual spots (other than
> the aforementioned UPDATING, and obvious changes in the source tree).
> So, I'm NOT complaining, just somewhat puzzled.

When an Errata Notice is created we send mail to the freebsd-announce
mailing list.  That's the "usual spot".

> Since I'm not sure of the scope of this problem, I also checked
> FreeBSD's security advisories to see if there was something there, and
> happened to run into another problem.  In
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html
>
> is a link to
>
>    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/index.html
>
> labelled "FTP CERT repository
> <ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/index.html>".  Following this
> link returns a "550 Failed to change directory" error.  I think this is
> because /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/www/data/gifs doesn't actually
> exist on freebsd.isc.org.
>
> Anyway, figured y'all might want to know about this (if you didn't already).

Both security advisories and errata notices are announced on the
freebsd-announce mailing list.  We also post both of them on the
main Web page.  They're listed on the right side of http://www.freebsd.org
towards the bottom-right side of the page.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |