docs/76324: [patch] '[P|p]orts collection' -> 'Ports Collection' in Handbook

Kirill Ponomarew krion at voodoo.oberon.net
Mon Jan 17 11:22:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:12:22PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > Russian translators can just ignore such entities for plural form
> > and use it only for singular form eg.
>
> Even for singular, it won't work - in my example, the usage was not in
> the plural, it was the singular form in the... erm.. accusative
> (vinitel'nij padezh), right? :)

Not subjective case ?  I almost forgot these school rules :)

Yeah, what I meant is to use entity only as noun, eg "Коллекция
Портов"/"Kollekcija Portov", since russian language has many
grammatical cases, we can't use many entities anyway.

> And if the entity should be ignored for some cases (arguably, for *most*
> cases), then what is the sense of having it in the first place?  The way
> I see it, the main reason for this PR was that the capitalization was
> inconsistent, and IMHO the entity would only be useful if it were
> possible to use it in *all* cases so that there is no way to
> miscapitalize 'the Ports Collection'.

Yes, but it's common situation with entities and russian language's
cases.

-Kirill