docs/76064: Add more information to build(7)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 11 11:30:30 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/76064; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/76064: Add more information to build(7)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:23:31 +0200

 On 2005-01-10 18:10, Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk> wrote:
 > --- src/share/man/man7/build.7	13 Aug 2004 12:59:46 -0000	1.27
 > +++ src/share/man/man7/build.7	10 Jan 2005 18:09:59 -0000
 [...]
 >  Install the kernel and the kernel modules.
 >  .It Cm reinstallkernel
 >  Reinstall the kernel and the kernel modules.
 > +.It Cm kernel
 > +Equivalent to
 > +.Cm buildkernel
 > +followed by
 > +.Cm installkernel

 This one looks nice :-)

 > +.Sh FLAGS
 > +.Bl -tag -width ".Va NO_KERNELDEPEND"
 > +.It Va -DNO_MAN
 > +Do not build man pages.
 > +.It Va -DNO_GAMES
 > +Do not build games.
 > +.It Va -DNO_DYNAMICROOT
 > +Build
 > +.Pa /bin
 > +and
 > +.Pa /sbin
 > +statically.
 > +.El
 > +.Pp
 > +Note that there are many other flags which can be used.
 > +.Pa /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
 > +lists more.
 > +.Pp
 > +The following flags can dramatically speed up a build,
 > +but should be used with care and never after the source
 > +has been updated since the last build.
 > +They are mainly useful for testing changes to individual
 > +files, where dependencies are known to have not changed.
 > +.Bl -tag -width ".Va NO_KERNELDEPEND"
 > +.It Va -DNO_CLEAN
 > +Do not clean before building.
 > +.It Va -DNO_KERNELDEPEND
 > +Do not recreate dependency information.
 > +.It Va -DNO_KERNELCONFIG
 > +Do not run
 > +.Xr config 8
 > +to reconfigure the kernel before building.
 > +.El

 I'm not sure about adding a FLAGS section.  It would seem a bit
 inappropriate to keep descriptions of some NO_XXX options in build(7),
 others in make.conf(5) and leave some more documented only in
 `src/Makefile.inc1'.

 IMHO, we should document make.conf variables in make.conf(5) (i.e. the
 NO_DYNAMICROOT, NO_GAMES and NO_MAN options listed above), and only
 document in build(7) the following:

     -DNO_CLEANDIR run ${MAKE} clean, instead of ${MAKE} cleandir
     -DNO_CLEAN do not clean at all
     -DNO_KERNELCONFIG do not run config in ${MAKE} buildkernel
     -DNO_KERNELCLEAN do not run ${MAKE} clean in ${MAKE} buildkernel
     -DNO_KERNELDEPEND do not run ${MAKE} depend in ${MAKE} buildkernel
     -DNO_PORTSUPDATE do not update ports in ${MAKE} update
     -DNO_DOCUPDATE do not update doc in ${MAKE} update
     LOCAL_DIRS="list of dirs" to add additional dirs to the SUBDIR list
     TARGET_ARCH="arch" to crossbuild world to a different arch