5.3 crippled

Dennis Olvany dennisolvany at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:11:01 UTC 2005

Removing the gui configuration from the installer is a major setback for
people that cannot figure out how to get kde up and running. The handbook
doesn't explain it well enough for newbs to get it going. It says, "simply
type # xorg -configure". Well, newsflash, no file or command. Maybe I had to
be in the correct directory, but I couldn't find it. Another suggestion said
to use pkg_add to download and install xorg and after ten minutes of
downloading I was back at square-one again. I've gotten earlier versions up
and running, no-problemo, and even with the installer handling kde, it still
required some technical skill. If someone couldn't install an earlier
version of FreeBSD, they sure as hell can't install the latest one. I said,
"hell with it", and I'm downloading yoper. I'm determined to get something
up and running and that's probably why I'm about ready to punch a wall right
now. I've figured out one thing so far, quality bsd/nix support is not easy
to find.

cc to reply as I don't think I'll be monitoring the list