conf/75668: 4.11-RC1: /etc/shells missing /usr/local/bin/bash

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Feb 25 10:59:20 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-23 23:08, Randy Pratt <rpratt1950 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:20:07 GMT
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>> State-Changed-By: keramida
>> State-Changed-When: Wed Feb 23 18:18:45 GMT 2005
>> State-Changed-Why:
>> The bash ports take care of updating /etc/shells at install
>> and deinstall time.  Something else is wrong with the setup
>> of the machine that exhibited the problem.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=75668
>
> The problem exhibits itself during the initial installation of
> the OS.  Its also dependent on which bash is included on the
> cdrom media.  Some have bash and some have bash2.  That is what
> seems to determine what goes in /etc/shells.
>
> Its not readily apparent of what you need to enter for a user's
> bash shell when creating a new user at installation with sysinstall.
> If bash2 is what is included in the packages, then entering
> "/usr/local/bin/bash" generates an error.
>
> In the Handbook, Figure 2-62. Add User Information, shows
> /usr/local/bin/bash as the shell when bash2 was previously
> added.  In the past, this did work since both bash and bash2
> were in the /etc/shells.
>
> The 4.11-RELEASE is long past so it doesn't matter for that but
> I think some small disconnect is there.

I think we have to update the Handbook.  I just deinstalled bash2 and
installed it as a package (built locally, but that shouldn't matter).
The package install/deinstall process correctly updates /etc/shells.

This means that what seems like a mistake in the Handbook, is very
probably just that: a bug of the Handbook (which should certainly
be fixed).