docs/77304: FreeBSD 5.3 can not be installed on a 16 MB old pentium 75 MHz machine.

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Wed Feb 9 12:10:24 UTC 2005

>Number:         77304
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 5.3 can not be installed on a 16 MB old pentium 75 MHz machine.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
FreeBSD 5.3 can not be installed from floppies in a 16 MB RAM old Pentium 75 MHz machine. It just reboots after pressing return on the beastie screen,not showing any kernel messages.

The docs placed into the "floppies" directory on the CDROM say:

        1.2 Hardware Requirements

FreeBSD for the i386 requires a 486 or better processor to install            and run(although FreeBSD can run on 386 processors with a custom kernel)and at least 8 megs of RAM to install and 7 megs to run.
>How-To-Repeat:
Just boot from the floppies. Wait until the beastie logo comes. Press return or wait for 10 seconds. It reboots.
>Fix:
Add more memory. 32 MB RAM work perfectly here. I have not tested 24MB.
I think the docs should be updated.
Thank you very much.