Regarding Handbook Section 16.14...

Andrew Korff uncletime at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:06:55 UTC 2005

I don't know if this is the appropriate address to send this sort of thing
to, but I wanted to suggest regarding the section of the FreeBSD Handbook
concerning File System Quotas (16.14).  In 16.14.1, when describing how to
configure your system for quotas, it suggests setting" check_quotas" to "NO"
in /etc/rc.conf for faster booting, but then later states that quota.groupand
quota.user will automatically be created by /etc/rc when you reboot after
setting up quotas.  I think some mention should be made of the fact that if
you set "check_quotas" to "NO", /etc/rc will NOT automatically create those
files for you; that you should enable it for the first reboot, and can
disable it after that.   This seems to me to be an important distinction, as
users might, as I did, think they should manually create those files, which
can have unpredictable consequences.

Let me know if I should send this suggestion to another address.
Thanks,
Andrew