docs/85355: [patch] Error in the pin numbers of the described connector in the Handbook (serial).

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Wed Aug 31 10:10:30 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85355; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su>
To: Julien Gabel <jpeg at thilelli.net>
Cc: "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys at opusnet.com>, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/85355: [patch] Error in the pin numbers of the described connector in the Handbook (serial).
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:03:11 +0400

 On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 11:48:35AM +0200, Julien Gabel wrote:

 > >> We may show two or three different designs in the handbook if we
 > >> can tell the reader about their merits.  The problem with the design
 > >> currently in the handbook is that it is erroneous *and* bogus.  I'd
 > >> suggest adding another row to the table so that it becomes evident
 > >> that DTR on this side is connected to DSR+DCD on the other side
 > >> while DTR on the other side is connected to DSR+DCD on this side.
 >
 > > The Note below the pin-out is supposed to make it evident, and with
 > > the Note the design is symmetric.
 >
 > I tend to think the note is ok here, too.

 I'd really like to see the design scheme all-sufficient without the
 note.  The note may clarify the scheme and help the reader to
 comprehend it, but the note should by no means be crucial to follow
 the scheme.  It is the matter of adding a mere row to the table:

 	DTR 20 connects to  6 DSR
 	DTR 20 connects to  8 DCD
 	DSR  6 connects to 20 DTR
 	DCD  8 connects to 20 DTR

 The reader is free either to install an internal strap between pins
 6 and 8 in each connector or to use two pairs of wires to connect
 pins 6 and 8 on each side to the single pin 20 on the other side.

 --
 Yar