Fix for Section 7.2.1.1 - Soundblaster 16 driver

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 29 17:23:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:46:14PM -0400, Fred Wheeler wrote:
> Marc is correct that my previous post makes little sense and section
> and section 7.2.1.1 is good as it is.  I was trying to recall what I
> did a couple of days ago and by mistake I focused on 7.2.1.1 when my
> suggestion really applies to 7.2.1.  (That's why I was mixing up
> loader.conf and kernel config file syntax.)
>
> Section 7.2.1 explains how to use
>
>   # kldload snd_emu10k1
>
> on the command line or put
>
>   snd_emu10k1_load="YES"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf.
>
> I think this needs to be
>
>   # kldload sound
>   # kldload snd_emu10k1

No, since when you do a kldload snd_emu10k1, it also loads sound.
You can check it with a kldstat.

> and
>
>   sound_load="YES"
>   snd_emu10k1_load="YES"

snd_emu10k1_load="YES" is the only needed line.

> However - I'm not 100% sure this is correct - so this should only be
> added if someone else knows that this is an obvious omission.  I'll
> carefully verify this if needed, but will not be able to get back to
> the machine for two weeks.  What I do know for sure is that
>
>   snd_sbc_load="YES"

Could you do a simple test:

Use of snd_sbc_load="YES" and then do a kldstat and post the result.

> did not work for me (sbc0 card found, but /dev/sndstat listed no
> installed devices), but
>
>   snd_driver_load="YES"
>
> worked (snd0 shows up in dmesg and audio works great).

What is the output of
cat /dev/sndstat

What are the revelant lines from dmesg?

> While 7.2.1.1 seems complete I think 7.2.1 implies that only the
> driver for the specific card is needed and does not mention the
> generic audio driver.

These both sections are correct.
But please try the tests I mentioned above, I suspect another problem...

Marc